Saturday, January 29, 2011

Exploring Philippines 2 - Guimaras Province (Post 2 - Raymen Beach Resort)

I chose Raymen beach resort above other resorts because this resort has good reviews from visitors. Since I don’t have a luxury of time to scout for a good resort, I settled with Raymen.

True to the comments and experiences of those who came before me, the place is clean and a class of its own and the staffs are friendly and courteous. They will welcome you with smiles and utmost courtesy which will make you feel at home right away.

An air-conditioned room good for two is 1350 pesos for an overnight stay and the check out time is 12 noon. Since I am needing only a place to spend a night, I opted a cheaper one. I went for a cottage like room with electric fan and it has its own bath room, likewise. The resort provides a pair of shampoo and soap only which means you have to bring your own towel and other stuffs.

The resort also has a spacious canteen and it is open from 6am to 7 or 8 in the evening. The price of a solo meal starts from 85 pesos with free mineral water. The resort offers also a wide array of packaged meal for a group.

Since I was on a tight schedule and places of interests are far away from one another, I had to move right away. I was not able to check the beach at this time. I hired a motorycycle for the whole of the afternoon’s activity and I was quite excited as soon as I hopped in.

When you are visiting an unfamiliar territory, it would be of great help to ask the locals about the beautiful places around. But you have to make sure that those places are accessible and here in Guimaras, you have to hire a tricycle or a motorcyle for you not to worry about getting lost or stranded. And also, you have to prepare yourself for a long hike every now and then.  When hiring for your ride, you have to learn how to bargain. It would be good to find an honest driver/tour guide but we cannot discount the possibility that somehow, someone will take advantage of you.

Anyway, I asked Lupe to take me to the lighthouse in Guisi (pronounced as Gisi). I knew that it is a long ride from the resort and I wanted to be there while the sun was still overhead.

The whole ride from the resort to the lighthouse was more or less 20 minutes. Along the way, I experienced a bumpy ride because the asphalted road seemed like being consumed by something. Hehe. Actually, the asphalted road was the result of a government project where the actual budget was not spent up to the last centavo. The asphalt was just like a single brush stroke on the road. Bad cheetah.

A portion of the road likewise is under construction. It was good that it was not raining that time because it would be a flying dirt all over the place if the road will be soaked in water. It is also good that the government is trying to improve the condition of the road on this part of the island for easier and convenient access for both the residents and the tourists.

We passed by two resorts before reaching the Guisi lighthouse. The place is secluded and it is located at the end part of the island. The only sounds you’ll ever hear on this area are the splashing waves on the cliff below and the birds call. At this time of the year, only few visitors would come to this place. And at this particular time, I have the whole place by myself. Great!

As we made our way to the lighthouse, I was trying to draw a picture of an old lighthouse at the back of my mind. Actually, I was thinking of an old lighthouse at the Capones island in Zambales. Maybe or maybe not.

The entrance fee for an adult is 10 pesos and 5 pesos for a child. In a place where money is not that abundant, these amounts are hard to earn.
I was told by my driver/guide that in the event that the caretaker is not around, one can pay later before leaving or you may simply leave the money on the porch or on the bench. Honesty is still observed on this part of the country and I felt proud for the people here.

No comments:

Post a Comment