Saturday, January 22, 2011

Exploring Philippines 1 - Guimaras Province (Post 1)

I experienced the promise of a great day ahead when we landed safely at Iloilo airport. It was already past 12 and the scorching heat of the sun can be felt. Though there were clouds in the horizon, still the day offered a good opportunity to move around.

With a backpack, a hand carry luggage and a plastic bag of bread, I was trying to make up my mind if ever I’ll go home right away or have an adventure by my lonesome. Honestly, it would be my first time to explore alone.

Days before having this trip, I had been searching the net of different possibilities like where to go, what to do, etc. It proved to be helpful having a planned itinerary especially it was my first time on the island.

And full of excitement but a bit nervous, I decided to gave it a try.

From the Iloilo airport, there are shuttle vans readily available.  And for the fare of 50 pesos to the city, you may ask the driver to take you to Jaro Cathedral. You will never miss the spot because of the old structure that has been part of the historical landmark of the city.

From this point, you may take a jeepney ride  with Jaro Liko and NFA signages to take you to Ortiz port but after getting off the jeepney, you’ll have to cover a long walk before reaching the port.

Since I was not comfortable with the luggage that I carry, I took a cab for comfort and speedy ride. I paid 65 pesos from Jaro cathedral to Ortiz port.


From Ortiz port, you can already see the distant Guimaras island. On a good day, you can reach the island in less than 15 minutes.The boat ride to Guimaras island is a controlled operation. Overloading issues are not tolerated because the capacity of a boat is well observed. Before boarding the boat, you have to secure a ticket at the entrance of the port. The fare to the island is 13 pesos only. After buying your ticket, you have to write your name on the logbook. And off you go.

If you travel by group, you may actually hire the entire a boat for 450 pesos and you can directly proceed to a particular beach resort of your choice.

Since it is a controlled ride, everyone has his own place inside the boat. There are enough life jackets and there are several men manning the boat. The ride from Ortiz port to Jordan (pronounce as Hordan) port is a calm one because of the good location of the channel.

Upon arriving at Jordan port, “barkers” and drivers alike would try to persuade you to take a solo ride going to your place of destination.  If they sense that you are a newbie to the place, they would discourage you to commute a jeepney because the driver will have to wait until every seat of the jeepney is fully occupied. A distant solo ride for a tricycle or motorcycle will cost you 200 pesos or more.

Again, it was good that I was able to search the net  regarding some basic stuffs about this island. Most probably, if I don’t have any idea at all, I could had been easily enticed about those offers.

A good 2 to 3 minutes walk from the port is the waiting area for the jeepney bound to Nueva Valencia. My destination was barangay Alubihod within the municipality of Nueva Valencia. When I looked at the fare matrix post, it was a 21km ride. Wow! The ride costs me 25 pesos.

The jeepney going to Nueva Valencia are observing a particular schedule. With or without enough passengers aboard, every 15 to 30 minutes, they have to go. With the arrival of a new jeepney means the previous one waiting for the passengers on the terminal would have to leave. So if you will take a jeepney ride, you don’t have to wait that long.

As I prepared for this trip, I was thinking that it would be rough and bumpy ride all along. But it was the exact opposite. Major roads are totally cemented and all throughout the ride, I noticed that the place is totally clean.

After a long but pleasant ride, I finally reached my destination. This gasoline station can be used as a landmark towards the Raymen beach resort in barangay Alubihod. But if you are new to the place, you can have my word that you will not get lost around this place. One, the people in this part of the country are friendly. Two, they can speak in English, Tagalog, Ilongo, Karay-a, or Cebuano. Three, the people I met here are honest. Four, they are approachable. Five, almost anyone knows each nook of the island and all you have to do is ask. As for me, I don’t consider myself as a stranger to this place because I can speak their native tounge, Ilongo and Karay-a. And it was an advantage on my part.

From the gasoline station, the end of the road would be the three beach resorts namely, Alubihod Cove, Raymen beach resort, and Rico beach resort. The cost of the 2km ride from the gasoline station to the resort would be 20 pesos and you may choose between a tricycle and a motorcycle.

At first, I wanted to have a tricycle ride because I am apprehensive and cautious enough about motorcycles. Though I don’t have any unpleasant experience in riding motorcycles, I am simply not comfortable. But since I wanted to roam around after checking in, a motorcycle would be a good choice compared to a tricycle. I simply asked the driver, Lupe, not to over speed during the course of our trip.

Ticket Booth and Log at Ortiz Port
overlooking Guimaras Province from Ortiz Port



No comments:

Post a Comment