Sunday, February 16, 2014

Food Trip 161 - Butong-butong

Whenever I go home, I never failed to notice this much-adored sweet treat which is definitely been around in our locality even before I was born.  I have no idea nor the people I've known about the origin of this sweet thing.

Butong-butong (stretch) is one of the much adored sweet delicacy in our place at around 60's to 90's.  I have witnessed its transformation from those large birds with black and red eyes made from seeds of a wild plant (which I missed) to about palm-sized interlaced appearance and now to about a bite-size only.  I guess with so much sweets and better tasting food, this homemade delicacy downsized its appearance but not its sweetness.

Butong-butong is made from the extract of a sugarcane.  While the pure sugar extract is melted, under a tolerable heat, the process is simple but a bit tiring.  The heated extract is now stretch until its white texture appears.  Since the appearance of the pure sugar extract is glossy deep brown (or something), it needs to be stretch until the desired whiteness is reached.  Once the extract becomes white, it is now formed into the different desirable shapes and sizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment